Woman Warns Others About Eyelash Extension After Suffering Severe Allergic Reaction
A Canadian woman says she suffered a severe allergic reaction after getting eyelash extensions and wants to warn others before the same misfortune befalls them.
Isabelle Kun, 20, says she got new extensions on Jan. 9. Two days later, she woke up to find her eyes were extremely swollen and barely open.
“My girlfriend had slept over and I couldn’t even see her. And, I was having a hard time swallowing and even breathing,” she told CTVNews.
The friend called Kun an Uber, which rushed her to the hospital.
“They took me right in within seconds when they saw my face. My eyes are swollen both above and under and my tonsils were apparently really inflamed,” she said.
Kun has gotten eyelash extensions done every two or three weeks for the past year.
The website for the business Kun goes to for the extensions notes that there are allergic reactions in some cases, most often due to the adhesive.
“If you feel that you may be sensitive to the products we use then we can perform an allergy test and apply a few strands to see how you react,” it states.
Orly Avitzur, M.D., wrote on Consumer Reports that eyelash extensions can pose health risks.
“False lashes can also trap dirt and bacteria, creating irritation and infection, and a reaction to the glue can cause allergic swelling of the eyelids much like the reaction,” Avitzur noted.
Kun said that when she broached the topic with her esthetician after she noticed swollen eyes after her last treatment, the woman said that there was nothing to worry about.
Kun wants people to be careful before they get such treatments in the future.
“These people are dealing with your eyes, with your vision. I mean, this morning I woke up and I wondered if I would ever be able to see again,” she said.
“I would want to do them again, but I will be going for allergy testing first, because I do love getting fake eyelashes.”