Ricky Shoff waited a few days before posting the video on Youtube. Fully aware of the reaction it would elicit from skeptics and Internet trolls, he considered keeping the shocking footage to himself.
Ultimately, he decided the message was too important, and the conclusion too miraculous.
“I’ve been a little hesitant to post this. But I feel it’s not only to bring awareness, but it is also incredible,” Ricky wrote on Facebook.
“We are so grateful for the bond that these twin brothers share.”
In January of 2017, Utah parents Ricky and his wife Kayli saw footage of their twin boys playing in their bedroom. When an unexpected accident occurred, one brother came to the rescue of the other.
Ricky and Kayli Shoff were still sleeping when their twins woke up and started playing. A camera in their room recorded a terrifying incident.
Rambunctious toddlers have a way of getting themselves in trouble. Brock and Bowdy, twins who were 2 years old at the time, wanted to climb to the top of the Ikea dresser in their bedroom.
The boys pulled out the drawers of the dresser, intending to use them as steps to get to the top.
But the dresser—emptied by their parents because the twins kept pulling things out of them in the middle of the night—was too light to carry their weight.
The unit toppled over, pinning Brock underneath it, while Bowdy frantically wracked his 2-year-old brain for a solution.
Twins Brock and Bowdy tried to climb the dresser in their bedroom. It fell over, pinning Brock underneath its weight.
While Brock struggled underneath the dresser, Bowdy circled him trying to figure out how he could help. He attempted to lift the dresser, but it was too heavy.
Then, a combination of luck, good sense, and impressive young muscles came to Bowdy’s aid. He managed to push the dresser just enough for his brother to slip out.
It wasn’t until later that the parents noticed the dresser had been knocked over. When they rushed in through the door, they found the two boys playing quietly in their room.
No injuries, no tears. It’s as if nothing ever happened.
“We know Bowdy was not alone in moving the dresser off of Brock. And feel blessed that he is ok,” Ricky wrote in his Facebook post.
The couple was unsure of what they wanted to do with the video. They decided to post it online as a way of warning other parents.
Ricky and Kayli Shoff decided ultimately decided to publish the footage to serve as a PSA to other parents.
“Please make sure all your dressers are bolted and secured to the wall,” said Ricky.
Bolting heavy, climbable pieces of furniture to the wall is recommended to all parents, but something most never do.
“A lot of people have messaged saying ‘hey, we’ve now got our dresser bolted down,'” Ricky said while appearing on CNN.
Ricky and Kayli Shoff continue to use the video as a way of raising awareness. They had to learn this lesson the hard way, and don’t want other parents to repeat their mistake.