Deaf puppy trapped in 50 foot hole when fire crew arrives and uses snare to finally save it

Rescuers had attempted to use tarps, ropes, food, and nets to try and save the puppy but after 30 hours, it was still stuck in the hole.
July 11, 2018 1:34 pm Last Updated: July 11, 2018 1:34 pm

One poor puppy’s heartbreaking, days-long ordeal came to a happy ending, thanks to the kindness of strangers who rallied to the rescue.

On Thursday, June 28, a deaf 7-week-old puppy named Toffee got trapped in a hole in Huntsville, Alabama. The rock crevice was 50 feet deep and had a narrow opening, making rescue difficult.

Toffee’s foster owner, Karen Smith, didn’t know what to do and reached out for help. She posted to a local lost pet Facebook group, and word spread, even getting attention from the local news.

PRAYERS FOR TOFFEE: We can't stop watching rescue crews working to save a deaf 7-week-old puppy in south Huntsville. We all hope for the best outcome in this heartbreaking situation.

Posted by WHNT News 19 on Friday, June 29, 2018

Then, something miraculous happened: locals from all over started gathering to help save Toffee, bringing supplies and setting up a large rescue party by the hole.

The outpouring of support meant the world to Smith:

“To every person that came, I mean every person that brought water, that brought the food, that brought generators, and lights,” she told WHNT. “It’s been an amazing outpouring of just kindness and sweetness.”

(Screenshot via WHNT)

Despite the outpouring of help, the makeshift rescue team didn’t have much success: attempts to use tarps, ropes, food, and nets fell short, and by Friday afternoon Toffee was still trapped.

But then, the story got the attention of Chief Finis Johnson of the Paint Rock Fire Department. He and a group of fellow firefighters volunteered to lend a hand.

“I’m an animal lover,” Johnson said. “It’s good to know we can come out to help folks.”

(Screenshot via WHNT)

The fire crew decided to use a snare to get the puppy out—and at about 12:30 a.m. Saturday, June 30, Toffee was finally free. She had spent about 30 hours in the hole.

The volunteers cheered and petted the dog, but no one was more thrilled than Smith, who thanked everyone for their hard work.

“I still can’t believe she’s really out and she’s right here and I’m holding her,” she said.

(Screenshot via WHNT)

It’s an inspiring story that shows the kindness of strangers. In times of crisis, you can count on your community coming together to help.

“This is a miracle,” Smith said. “There’s no feeling like it.  I still can’t believe it.”

(Screenshot via WHNT)