Some Desperate Parents Are Forcing Their Kids to Drink Bleach to ‘Cure’ Their Autism
Desperate parents are reportedly forcing their autistic children to drink bleach and other chemicals in an attempt to “cure” their children of the autism, according to a new report.
At least six police forces in the United Kingdom have been questioning families recently over the allegations, reported the Daily Mirror.
Some children were also given bleach enemas to purge “parasites,” the investigation from The Mirror found.
More than one in 100 people in the UK suffer from some form of autism, according to The National Autistic Society.
Experts are warning against parents trying extreme measures to rid their children of autism saying there is no known cure.
“Autism is a neuro-developmental condition which is not amenable to any form of tablet treatment. It’s developed in the womb or in the early stages of life. You just can’t reverse it and anyone claiming that does not understand the condition,” said Dr. Jeff Foster, reported The Mirror. “When you have very extreme measures like this to ‘cure’ a condition it’s just a roulette game. “Eventually someone will die. It’s only a matter of time.”
The investigation led reporters to a closed Facebook group, where parents in Britain and the U.S. were using the so-called Miracle or Master Mineral Solution (MMS) to try to cure autism.
— Simon Macdonald (@Simonbrons) January 28, 2018
The solution has been marketed as a cure for cancer, aids, influenza, and other hard-to-cure or incurable diseases, but is actually “industrial bleach,” reported the Guardian.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says said in a warning: “The product instructs consumers to mix the 28 percent sodium chlorite solution with an acid such as citrus juice. This mixture produces chlorine dioxide, a potent bleach used for stripping textiles and industrial water treatment. High oral doses of this bleach, such as those recommended in the labeling, can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and symptoms of severe dehydration.”
Parents in the unnamed closed Facebook group posted pictures of what they claimed were parasites that had been forced out of their children’s bodies when they used the controversial so-called treatment.
One woman wrote that children should be given 16 doses of the mixture every day for three months.
Another told the Mirror that she started using the solution in desperation and that her child seemed to be getting better.
She wrote, “Some mean people said it’s bleach and harmful for kids. But it’s helped so many!”
General practitioner Dr. Foster told the Mirror: “Chlorine dioxide causes abdominal cramps, vomiting and diarrhea.
“If you drink it on a long-term basis it causes inflammation of your gut lining, stomach, oesophagus, and intestines. At some stage something pops and then you can bleed to death.
“Your gut will excrete whatever has just been shed from having this irritant, and that’s likely what parents are seeing come out. They might make claims the doses are so small that it’s not like giving proper industrial bleach. But no dose is safe.”