3 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash
1.5 cups low sodium or unsalted vegetable or chicken broth
1.5 cups whole milk
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1-2 cups frozen cauliflower
3tbsp plain greek yogurt
sea salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 lb pasta (we used POW! lentil penne)
2 tbsp Ghee, butter or olive oil
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 375. Grease a glass or ceramic baking dish. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Bring squash, broth, milk and garlic to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for about 30 minutes until the squash is tender. Add in the cauliflower with about 5 minutes left to go.
- Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on the box.
- Allow squash mixture to cool a bit and then transfer to a blender and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Add in yogurt, salt and pepper and blend again.
- Measure shredded cheese into a large bowl, reserving about 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese.
- Pour the squash mixture over the cheese and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Add the pasta to the cheese sauce and fold to combine.
- Transfer the pasta to the prepared baking dish.
- Add the ghee, butter or oil to the (now empty) pasta pot over medium heat. Pour in the breadcrumbs and stir until toasted and browning. Turn off the heat and add in the reserved cheese.
- Top the pasta with the breadcrumbs and bake in the oven for about 20-30 minutes until crispy and golden and bubbling.